The Dry Eye Zone

Rebecca's Blog

-

Abstract: Demodex bleph - diagnosis, treatment with pilocarpine gel

Turkiye Parazitol Derg. 2009;33(1):32-6.
Diagnosis and treatment of demodectic blepharitis.

Inceboz T, Yaman A, Over L, Ozturk AT, Akisu C.
Dokuz Eylul University, School of Medicine, Department of Parasitology Inciralti, Izmir, Turkey.

The aim of this study was to investigate the prevalence of Demodex spp. in the eyelash follicles obtained from patients seen in our ophthalmology clinic, to define the symptoms of this infestation, and to examine the effectivity of the therapy. This study was conducted in Department of Ophthalmology and Parasitology, Dokuz Eylül University, School of Medicine. Our study included 82 cases that were seen in the Ophthalmology Department and Parasitology Department for various reasons. We have also observed that the presence of Demodex spp. provokes itching and redness in the eyes and that using baby shampoo for cleansing the face reduces the risk of infestation. After the treatment of 32 cases with 4% pilocarpin HCl gel, we achieved a total cure in 12 eyes (37.5%), partial improvement in 13 eyes (40.6%), (making a total of 25 eyes, 78.1%). The treatment was unsuccessful in 7 eyes (21.9%). In patients with Demodex spp. cleansing with baby shampoo and treating by pilocarpin gel may be used in treatment.
Rebecca1 Comment