I have been following the bulletin board for the past few months and wanted to drop a note to say hi. Before I begin I should say thank you to Rebecca and all the dry eye veterans, such as Lucy, for facilitatin and fostering a great community for reaching out.
I am a healthcare provider, a nurse practitioner working in family medicine. I had many friends, colleagues, and patients who had LASIK. Everybody I talked to had such a "wonderful outcome!" and was so happy with their results. I decided to go for it. After all, technology has advanced a great deal and everyone was happy with their results. It was even 20/20 vision guaranteed or your money back. Can't beat that with a stick!
In March 2009 I had regular LASIK eye surgery on both eyes. I was told that regular lasik would provide the same outcome as custom lasik and that I did not need it. Immediately afterwards and up until now (6 months later) there are still night vision disturbances. Haloes, starbursts, glare. These HOA's actually seem to be getting worse! :-(
I had no dry eye symptoms up until 3 months. The first 3 months I had absolutely no dry eye symptoms...at all No night time symptoms, no burning, nothing! One day after the 3 month follow up appt, my eyes felt dry, burning, and irritated. I started using generic artificial tears and that alleviated it.
The dry eye symptoms gradually worsened. I developed the usual symptoms of burning, pain, fluctuating vision.
I do not know why I developed DES after 3 months post-lasik. The eye docs have no idea. They say that lasik can severe the sensory nerves in your cornea that stimulate tear gland activity as well as meibomian gland secretion. The lasik flap created is usually one that leaves a nasal hinge because apparently the corneal nerve bundles enter the cornea at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position.
If the nerves in the cornea were severed then that would create immediate DES is what I have researched, but if that was the case my symptoms did not begin until 3 months post-lasik. I'm puzzled. It's a head scratcher.
Here's what lasik did for me:
1. Loss of contrast sensitivity; difficulty fine tuning focus
2. Double vision in left eye
3. GASH (glare, arcs, starburst, halo)
4. FLOATERS which have increased in number 1 month post-lasik
5. Dry burning painful eyes
Here's what I have been doing over the past 3 months:
1. Rice baggy warm compress 3 - 4 times/week
2. Permnent plugs x 4 punctum; both upper and lower
3. Lotemax drops four times a day for 3 weeks.
4. Doxycycline 100mg twice a day for 1 month
5. Eyelid scrubs with warm water.
6. Flax seed oil daily. I grind the seeds up direct and mix it with some yogurt.
7. Refresh Endura
8. Optive eye drops
9. Refresh celluvisc, Refresh plus, Acular, Muro, Azasite
10. Genteal Gel at bedtime
12. Erythromycin ophthalmic ointment
13. Restatis. started 2 days ago. woo hoo!
I have good days and bad days. I am finding that the more inflammed my eyes are, the drier they become. Lotemax has helped somewhat. Not one thing has stood out as being the most helpful, however.
My current regimen is:
1. Restatis twice a day. (just started 2 days ago though so too early to tell if helpful or not)
2. Drops when needed. I use a combination of Refresh plus, Refresh endura, Optive. I mix up the eye drops rather than just stick with one.
3. Genteal gel at bedtime.
Anyhow, I have a lot more to say but I figure writing too much can be a bad thing!
I just wanted to say hi to everyone and look forward to more posts. Thank you for the opportunity to reach out to others that understand. !