Thread: Tape Eyelids Shut

Tape Eyelids Shut

Here is something that has worked great for me... Simply tape your eyelid(s) shut with medical or athletic tape at bedtime. I must sleep with my eyes partially open, but since doing this I have noticed a significant improvement in the appearance and feel of my dry eyes.

It's difficult to find effective tape that is easy on the skin. I must've tried a dozen or so different kinds of tape already. Reading others' tips, I'll have to try paper tape as a potential option.
    Last edited by menace97; 02-Jun-2009 at 04:10.

I agree it helps, also I use Glad Press and Seal wrap. I just cut the squares the size I need . You can adjust and reposition it pretty easy.
    If your skin is very clean it sticks too well, try placing the wrap first on your hand a couple of times to make it less clingy.

That's a great idea! Thank you. I will give that a try.

Does the plastic wrap stay on if you sleep on your side? The side-sleeping issue is that main reason I don't sleep with my tranquileyes mask.

I "glue" my eyes closed with Genteal Gel at bedtime. I squeeze in a big drop into each eye, close my eyes, and when some excess gel oozes out, I smear it around with my finger and then let it dry on my lashes/eyelids. It effectively glues my eyelids shut (as I have to kind-of pry them open in the morning).

I must also sleep with my eyes partly open, as this has really helped me a lot. I tried taping them closed but found the tape to be uncomfortable and (as you mention) hard on my skin.

Teri

Tape

I spent a small fortune on different tapes until I found the one that worked best for me. Hopefully you'll be able to find one gentle enough for your eyelids. For the first while, my eyelids were a bit sore, but to be honest, it was absolutely worth it for how my eyes felt. After about a week, the difference was significant. I still continue to tape one of my eyes shut, with the hope that it will completely repair my one dry eye.

Teri,
    Yes the Press and Seal stays put. I also sleep on my side. It has a light adhesive, but less than tape. I just cut a few squares and keep them bedside.
    I tried the tape but never could get used to it. Besides it seemed to pull out my lashes.

Taping eyes

I taped my eyes for about 10 years. The only tape gentile enough is 3m 1" microfoam tape. Try it. Much better than the micropore. (Foam = gentile) Makes a great seal and comes off easily in the morning.

I switched to saran wrap after 10 years for several reasons. They both work. Now I recently purchased the tranquileyes goggles and so far they are the best out of the three options for night time protection.

press and seal or clingwrap

It also helps it stay put if you put a bit of vaseline on the areas you want it to stick to. I actually learned that tip on here from someone

Though I haven't tried Sabrina's tip to use vaseline I would have thought that this might inhibit the plaster sticking? I've had DES in my right eye for 14 years and have only had to use Lacrilube at night - until last week when a hospital doctor advised me to tape the lids together and gave me some 3M Transpore to do it with. I haven't yet managed to tape the lids completely together, but the dryness has eased a bit. Perhaps this is because the tape acts as a shield or the improvement might be due to my applying Lacrilube more conscientiously On another thread, I see there's a tip to tape the upper lid to the check, so I'll try that, and I've got some Micropore somewhere, so I'll give that a go as well.

My sister does this, as she has dry eye due to facial paralysis from a brain tumour. I don't know what kind of tape she uses though. Funnily I've never considered trying it (I have MGD) but maybe I will! I bought an eye mask to try for the same effect but it was too tight for me to sleep with it on.

My Doc told me that Seal wrap will negatively affect M.Glands...staying wet ..