Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Natural cure for blepharitis?

  1. Natural cure for blepharitis?

    Has anyone tried castor oil? The person at this website:

    http://www.hull.ac.uk/php/cssmv/Medi...epharitis.html

    says that it works. I am not sure how it works but it seems that you just put it on your eyelids?

  2. Well, I decided to be the guinee pig. I have started putting castor oil on my eyes. I will keep you updated of my progress but so far am very excited at the results I have been getting. I have had many false dawns before though so I will wait and give it a few weeks before I say anything. I am using castor oil that is supposed to be used for constipation or so it says on the label. You can get it at Walgreens for about $3.50.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    192

    Lightbulb

    Hi Danny,
    How do you feel when put the drops in?
    Good Luck!!!

    George

  4. George,

    I amn't putting drops in. I am applying Castor oil directly to my eye lids. So far, it has caused redness and inflammation around my eyes but my eyes feel a lot less dry. I am going to stick with it for at least two weeks. It is really good to put it on before you go to sleep but the only problem is that putting it on during the day makes your eyelashs dirty. I will keep you updated.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    192
    Hi Danny,
    If you realize redness and inflammation of your eyelids it might be something related to the composition (purity) of the castor oil that you use.
    Thanks for the info and good luck.

    George

  6. Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeT
    Hi Danny,
    If you realize redness and inflammation of your eyelids it might be something related to the composition (purity) of the castor oil that you use.
    Thanks for the info and good luck.

    George
    The inflamation is chronic and existed before the castor oil was put on. The castor oil has made it worse AROUND THE EYE but not in the eye itself and I believe that it is helping IN THE EYE. It could be a situation of having to endure burning for a while until it gets better. I am giving it about two weeks anyway to see if it works.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny_
    The inflamation is chronic and existed before the castor oil was put on. The castor oil has made it worse AROUND THE EYE but not in the eye itself and I believe that it is helping IN THE EYE. It could be a situation of having to endure burning for a while until it gets better. I am giving it about two weeks anyway to see if it works.
    Danny:

    I've heard from others, and have experienced it myself, that the initial use of castor oil will cause redness around the eyes but that after a week or two, this should subside. So, your two-week trial sounds about right.

    FWIW, I've used castor oil off and on and have now decided to give it the full test. Please keep us posted with your results, and I'll try to do the same, if you'd like.

    Randal

  8. I stopped putting it on during the day because it makes my eyes itchy and yes, I experience the redness around the eye and burning also. If you just put it on before you go to bed, you don't get this. I have started using refresh endura (it's a castor oil based eye drop) during the day. I am going to try to get proper castor oil eye drops made for me from a compound pharmacy.

    Danny

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny_
    I stopped putting it on during the day because it makes my eyes itchy and yes, I experience the redness around the eye and burning also. If you just put it on before you go to bed, you don't get this. I have started using refresh endura (it's a castor oil based eye drop) during the day. I am going to try to get proper castor oil eye drops made for me from a compound pharmacy.

    Danny
    Danny:

    I've used the preservative-based version of Refresh Endura. (It's called Refresh Dry Eye Therapy, if memory serves.) I don't know if it was the preservative or something else, but I found that it irritated my eyes and eyelids, but only if I used it too much. (That's what made me think it may be the preservative.)

    Like you, I also am applying castor oil drops at night--not to my eyes themselves but to my eyelids. The oil will work its way into the eyes. I'm undecided about applying the drops in the morning, too. One thing I've done, though, that seems to mitigate the irritation is to apply the drops before taking a shower. The shower seems to get the drops moving more quickly off the eyelids and onto the eyes.

    Randal

  10. Update:

    The castor oil drops have definitely helped a lot. It's too early to say whether they'll take the pain away altogether but I am hopeful that they will. The pain is chronic so it could take a lot of time to get rid of.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Outside of Atlanta
    Posts
    272
    Hi,
    The article also mentions chamomile tea, I use the tea bags sometimes for compresses. Feels nice, and soothes my lids.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •