Thread: Salivary Gland Transplant

Salivary Gland Transplant

Dr. Latkany:

Is there a reason that a salivary gland transplant is not offered as an option to people suffering from severe dry eye disease? I know this would only work with people with normal salivary gland function. However, there are many people with normal salivary function but severe dry eye, just as in the case with animals. This procedure is routinely performed in animals, especially dogs, with a very high success rate. I have read it is not a perfect replacement of tears but is very effective. I also read this surgery has been performed outside the US since the early 90s with a very high success rate, but there is only one surgeon in the US performing this surgery.
    Cause of dry eyes: Meibomian Gland Dysfunction

Be careful about what you read and who wrote it. I can write something nice for you to believe as well. The conecpt sounds appealing but in actuality I will have to be far more convinced that this is the right thing to do. It has been done for a long time outside the US and will not be done any time soon in the US but MAY be another future option for those who fit the criteria. As you know saliva and tears are not the same.