Thread: Celiacs Disease

Celiacs Disease

Hi Guys

I have recently been diagnosed with Celiac's disease after 10 years of symptoms. I have always been diagnosed with Crohn's and IBS in the past. Thrilled to finally have been diagnosed correctly. Anybody else here have this?

I have Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. My doc and dietician are certian this is a result of celiacs. My glands are constantly blocked.

I have been gluten free for 2 and a half weeks My doctor and dietician have both given me a conflicting prognosis over my eyes. Doctor says my eyes won't get better. That dry eyes from an auto immune disease is permanent and going gluten free will not help my eyes. Dietician says my eyes will absolutely get better and when my intestines heal in about 3 months I will be absorbing nutrients and my eyelids will no longer be irritated and my glands will be unblocked. She also said my dandruff and skin conditions will also go away.

I don't know who to believe. I guess I just have to be patient and see what happens.

I thought permanent damage caused by auto immune disease was an aqueous tear deficiency not MGD/blepharitis? this is only my rgular doc saying this not my opth. I don't see my opth for 6 weeks and anm dying to know what she says. She has asked me about 3 times over the years if I had celiacs. So there is obviously a pretty strong relationship between intestinal problems and eye conditions.

Has anyone else heard of anyone's eyes getting better going gluten free at all??

Very interesting

When I told my dentist about my eye troubles, he mentioned Celiac's. He said dry eyes are a symptom of a disease, not a disease itself. I googled Celiac and didn't think it related to dry eye and dismissed the whole thing.

Whoops! posted before i finished

(as I was saying) It's interesting to hear that Celiac's and dry eye can be related after all.

I think it's great that you finally have an explanation for your problems and you must be feeling very hopeful.

I think your eyes will get much, much better. There's no reason to assume that your eyes won't make a huge recovery once the source of inflammation is gone.

What foods have gluten? I hear it's really hard to stick to a gluten-free diet, because it's in everything. Good luck with that! Keep us posted!

Charmee

Celiac links

This is one of the best sites for getting info on Celiac Disease. I've referenced it on the Sjogren's site too. This is Neuro Talk's gluten-free forum. http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=1121

Billye

Thanks for the link. That is a great website!!!

I managed to find out that if you have Sjogren's syndrome as a result of Celiacs then your dry eyes can't be rectified from going gluten free. However, if you have eyelid problems it looks more hopeful as celiacs causes all sorts of skin problems that are usually rectified after a few months of being on a gluten free diet. I found a few posts from people who's bleph went away going gluten free. I am feeling quite hopeful. I have had celiacs for possibly 10 years and bleph/MGD for 8 years so I have a lot of damage to undo. Yikes!!!!

Yes it is very hard going gluten free. I have been doing it for 3 weeks. I think I have done well. I have only slipped up twice and they were extremely small amounts. It is really hard eating out, but the wait staff and chefs have been extremely helpful. Even bringing me out the bottles of the sauces and condimenets they use to check the ingredients. Was al ittle embarrassing but I guess I will get used to it. LOL.