Thread: Bloodshot eyes in the morning

Bloodshot eyes in the morning

This may have been discussed before, but I am new to the site and wanted to know if anyone else experiences really bloodshot eyes in the morning upon wakening? This has developed for me over the past year even though I have had dry eye and bleparitis for two years now. I find it very distressing in the morning to look like I have been drinking and partying all night when I haven't. Perfect example is last night when I went to bed my eyes looked really good and this morning very bloodshot. I use a humidifier in my bedroom and a preservative free ointment. My eyes have been feeling not too bad when I wake up, but they get so red over night. My opthalmologist has explained to me that the eyes are static during the night and dry out due to my blepharits. Does anyone have an opinion about this?
    Rebecca, do you have any inside knowledge about this and would sleeping with tranquileyes help this? I don't presently own tranquileyes and am hesitant to invest. I spent so much money........
    Thanks,
    Terri

Blog Entries
    One thought I had on reading this was whether it's related to the ointment.

Also, regarding tranquileyes: There's other ways to cover your eyes that are cheaper and would be worth trying out. You can get a sleep mask from the drug store for a few dollars. Or, a piece of plastic wrap patted down around the eyes.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Zone

I have thought about the ointment as well, I have tried the genteal gel at night, but wake up much dryer in the morning than when I use the ointment. I am going to try a sleep mask to see if that works. Also was thinking about ordering the sample pack of Dr. Holly's drops to see if they help.
    Thanks,
    Terri

Bloodshot red eyes in the morning is also a symptom of meibomitis/blepharitis/rosacea (so I guess most of us who suffer from some kind of lid disease experience this every morning).
    But some gels or ointments may protect the eye surface better than other.
    Are you on doxy for you blepharitis? what's your hot compresses regime?

kalinda,
    yes I'm on doxyclycline, lid scrubs, warm compresses twice daily. I am have been to two dematologists who said I don't have rosacea. Very frustrating. Do you have a suggestion on an ointment?
    Thanks,
    Terri

Terri- I find that when using gels at night, I have to re-apply them again (sometimes twice) during the night. I also use mild eyes drops at night to moisten the gel. For me, the gel does a better job keeping my eyes hydrated and reducing friction--but it does need to be tinkered with.

I saw a nice sleep mask at BedBath&Beyond yesterday--it has shaped foam to keep the mask from resting right on the eyelids--$9.99.

Eyes will still dry out, even with a mask. But the gels stay moist a bit longer.

C66

calli66,
    Thanks so much, I have a Bed Bath and Beyond right down the street and a 20% coupon, (can't forget that). I will pick one up tomorrow. What gel do you use and do you get that dry residue on your eyelashes in the morning. I have found that to be very irritating.
    Thanks,
    Terri

I use Genteal Gel----at least 2 "blobs" per eye right before I go to bed. It doesn't really come out of the tube as drops. Sometimes I wear the TranquilEyes mask, but not always. There is some residue on my eyelashes in the morning, but I periodically add more gel and Soothe brand drops during the night, so for me--it's not too dried and crusty.

The first thing I do when I wake up is put in some Soothe drops to get some lubrication going. Then I go rinse off all the gel and drop residue with plain water. I just gently rub my closed eyes and lashes with my fingers and water.

After breakfast, I clean my lids more thoroughly and do the warm compresses.

I saw 2 different sleepmasks at BBB--a flat fabric one (cheaper) and the soft foam one.

C66

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes
    Do you have a suggestion on an ointment?
    Thanks,
    Terri
    Actually I don't think my suggestions may help since they may not be available in the US but i use a Vitamine A oitnment (it also contains vaseline, and wool oil) and there's also a very interesting gel called ophtasiloxane or something like that (no preservatives, no oily subtances although it feels exactly like it and clearly stays longer on the eye surface... that's usually the advantage of oily ointments).

Kakinda: Were do you buy ophtasiloxane? It sounds like something for me to use during the night.

Toril

Hi Toril,

I just spoke to Baudouin. maybe that's one aspect we (hopefully I'll able to go with you) could discuss with him next time (what he thinks of that gel). But you can buy in any pharmacy here in France so if you can't find it in Noreg, you may try it when you're here. It's about 9 euros.

Keep me posted regarding your arrival and departure dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Toril
    Kakinda: Were do you buy ophtasiloxane? It sounds like something for me to use during the night.

Toril
    Sorry the information that was provided to me was inaccurate (although by a well intended person at my local pharmacy), it does contain 2 preservatives (EDTA and cetrimide), I just rechecked so not a good thing so forget what I said bellow:
    I found another one called Civigel (no preservative) you may try, less expensive but don't remember how much... I still have have one tube left if Baudouin thinks you may try it. Not as effective as ophtasiloxane with dimeticone in terms of staying in the eye... but worth trying.
    it's all so personal and empirical.
    Possibly available in other European countries.

So this confirms only two PF version for ointements in France and why i had put these aside... after trying one tube... once.
    Hilsen fra Paris
    Last edited by kakinda; 05-Mar-2007 at 12:32.

H again!

Here in Norway we have only 2 eye ointments availale; Simplex řyesalve (Optha) and VitA-POS (Ursaparm). I'm using the first one as it's the one that the government is willing to refund. They are both without preservatives.

I'll come to Paris late April 1, and leave early April 5. I'll write you an answer to your mail soon and attach the photo of the ointment I'm using.

Stor hilsen fra Toril

Hej Toril, Blue eyes and others,

apparently in the US you have additional PF options. Check exact content but worth investigating the ointments bellow. I'm sure some people on this forum could report their experience with some of these if you haven't tried all of them yet.

Lubricating Ointments (all preservative-free)
    • HypoTears (Novartis Ophthalmics)
    • Moisture Eyes (Bausch & Lomb)
    • Refresh PM (Allergan) (simply preservative-free Lacrilube)
    • Tears Naturale (Alcon)