Thread: Umbilical Cord Serum Eyedrops

1. Umbilical Cord Serum Eyedrops

This was new to me so thought it might be to others as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

Abstract from Journal of Cornea and External Disease

Application of Umbilical Cord Serum Eyedrops for the Treatment of Dry Eye Syndrome.

Clinical Sciences
    Cornea. 25(3):268-272, April 2006.
    Yoon, Kyung-Chul MD, PhD *; Im, Seong-Kyu MD *; Park, Yeoung-Geol MD, PhD *; Jung, Young-Do MD, PhD +; Yang, Seong-Yeul MD, PhD +; Choi, Jin MD, PhD ++

Abstract:
    Purpose: To investigate the efficacy of umbilical cord serum eyedrops for the treatment of severe dry eye syndrome.

Methods: Fifty-five eyes of 31 patients with severe dry eye syndrome were treated with umbilical cord serum eyedrops. Symptom scoring, tear film break-up time (BUT), Schirmer test, corneal sensitivity test, and corneal fluorescein staining were performed before and 1 and 2 months after treatment, and conjunctival impression cytology was performed before and 2 months after treatment. The concentrations of epidermal growth factor (EGF), vitamin A, and transforming growth factor-[beta] (TGF-[beta]) in umbilical cord serum and normal peripheral blood serum were measured.

Results: Two months after treatment, significant improvement was observed in symptom score (from 3.07 +/- 0.54 to 0.96 +/- 0. 58), BUT (from 3.96 +/- 1.56 to 5.45 +/- 2.54 seconds), and keratoepitheliopathy score (from 4.87 +/- 3.22 to 1.71 +/- 1.84) (P < 0.01). There was no statistically significant change in Schirmer and corneal sensitivity tests. In impression cytology, the grade of squamous metaplasia (from 2.35 +/- 0.72 to 1.44 +/- 0.69) and goblet cell density (from 80.91 +/- 31.53 to 154.68 +/- 43.06 cell/mm2) improved significantly (P < 0.01). The mean concentrations of EGF, TGF-[beta], and vitamin A were 0.48 +/- 0.09, 57.14 +/- 18.98, and 230.85 +/- 13.39 ng/mL in umbilical cord serum and 0.14 +/- 0.03, 31.30 +/- 12.86, and 372.34 +/- 22.32 ng/mL in peripheral blood serum, respectively.

Conclusion: Umbilical cord serum contains essential tear components, and umbilical cord serum eyedrops are effective and safe for the treatment of severe dry eye syndrome.

------------------------------------------------------------

In addition, I found an interesting pdf that goes along with this abstract nicely, mentioning that umbilical cord serum may be beneficial compared to adult serum (p.21), explaining the components of tears (p.3 - yowser), a 800x magnification picture of what BAK did to the cornea of a rabbit (p.14)...something for everybody .

From the South East Asia Glaucoma Interest Group:
    Ophthalmic Disease Battlefront: Maintaining the Health of the Ocular Surface
    http://www.seagig.org/toc/v7n2s1/v7n2s1p1.pdf
    Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Hi Cindy, excellent post.
    I've read 3 or 4 reports on this including this one:

http://bjo.bmj.com/cgi/reprint/87/11/1312.pdf

and another one i couldn't find for GVHD (graft versus host disease, which usually leads to severe DE, we've got one "case" within Keratos' membership).
    So, this is a really promising treatment to get essential growth factors for ocular surface health... so hope for all of us suffering from erosions, nerve dysfunctional DE, probably post-lasik, etc...
    This is my favorite area of DE research; may i suggest, Rebecca, that you archive this in the wound healing section later on as well.

So mother nature does some excellent things, doesn't it?

Additionally, (and I really don't want to stir things up again regarding stem cells but...) serum chord blood may provide stem cells (without embryo destruction, actually without any embryo contact) so if the stem cell issue is of interest for you; you may want to have a look on the net regarding this new possibility to get stem cells (especially for those of you may reconsider it as a possible morally acceptable solution for them since embryos are not involved anymore).