Thread: Getting Lipiflow Tomorrow

Getting Lipiflow Tomorrow

I am getting lipiflow tomorrow in Provo Utah. I have MGD and ocular rosacea. Doc's have told me my eyes don't look that dry. I do have red veins and red lids though so they sure look red to me! I called ahead and requested a full mb expression after b/c the doc doesn't usually do that. Another user on here had it done and thinks it helped and plus I know my glands are blocked and/or thick meibomian. I'll post after but will give it some time before I say if it helped or not. 1700.00 is A LOT to spend. I'm also going to ask when insurance will start covering it. More and more docs are getting lipiflow and hopefully insurance kicks in soon.

I had a lipiview done a couple weeks ago from a different doc who said 85% of my glands had atrophied! I am really hoping this is not the case but it will be interesting to compare numbers.

Good luck Kate.

Good luck Kate

Will be waiting for good news!!

Thanks guys! It was pretty uneventful. Like everyone knows it was 12 minutes. There was soft music playing. My numbers from lipiview were lower than the first lipiview I got only 2 weeks ago. I was a 52 and 34 and now am 43 and 29 I think. Also the first doc said 85% glands atrophied and this guy said about 25% atrophied. Which still seems so high for my age? 31. That scares me a lot. Of course I was a good candidate and he said I have a 70% chance of improvement. After they expressed my eyes (not hard) and said it was all flowing clear oil.
    I asked when insurance might be covering this and they had no idea…a few years was thrown out. I'm going to call my insurance company today and ask.
    They said I need to take omega 3 with DHA. I checked my gross flax seen that I have been tolerating the last month and it didn't say that anywhere! Nor did it say pure. just organic. So I'm going to GNC to get some new stuff.
    Think I might order some contact tweezers and do expression every other day. I can express my uppers and see junk come out but never my lowers. I think the expression saved my uppers b/c the doc said they look good. But I never express my lowers b/c nothing comes out. I do the DR. L way btw. With the q-tip pressed to white of eye ball.

-k

Hi Kate,
    Do your eyes feel better?

The red veins look a little bit better but that fluctuates solo much I don't think it's much of an indicator. No, not feeling any better yet. The doc said up to 6 weeks to possible (70% chance) of seeing improvements.
    Also he put me back on restasis.
    I will keep you posted though!
    How are you doing? Trying anything new?

-Kate

Hope you see 100% improvement! Yes. Quadra plugged and getting some hormone eyedrops to help the oil. Doing better. Will keep you posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Katewest View Post
    Also the first doc said 85% glands atrophied and this guy said about 25% atrophied. Which still seems so high for my age? 31. That scares me a lot.
    Seems you are a bit young for atrophied glands, but who knows. How was the atrophy diagnosis made? Did he do a meibography?

just the transillumination

Katewest, one person told you 85% of your MG's were atrophied and another 25%. Clearly, they are misdiagnosing you probably through inexperience. It takes thousands of patients and hours to accurately diagnose with translumination. You need a meibography done.
    I don't know, I'm skeptical of these LipiFlow operators.

I talked to Dr. Jacobs from BFS today regarding lipiflow and atrophied glands. She said she doesn't think a lot about atrophied meibomian glands and there is no real proof that is a cause or condition and that it is immeasurable. Lipiflow---there is no long term benefits and with neuralia patenents probably no help.

Does this mean you don't feel better?

Yea, no difference….yet. I'm still hopeful for something but I'm defiantly not counting on it. I still live in the desert so when we move in May I am really counting on THAT to help.

Lipiflow Update about 5 weeks later….BLAH! Waste of money and time! I see no difference!