Please support the campaign for the UK Government to introduce legislation for Refractive Eye Surgery.
I urge any UK resident to read the HM Government e-petition, & sign if in agreement.
The majority of people choosing to have refractive eye surgery are satisfied with the results, but unfortunately thousands more suffer adverse results and serious complications, including blindness.
It is estimated that 1 in 5 people will have unsuccessful results: that means for every 100,000 patients treated, at least 20,000 are likely to experience problems.
Statistics for patients left suffering with dry eyes, starbursts, etc... are not disclosed, but known to be far higher than clinics will admit.
High street clinics are run as businesses & make massive profits. "Half price" & heavily discounted offers are only possible because they allow low paid office staff to perform eye tests, usually conducted by higher paid Optometrists.
Consultations are with an Optometrist, similarly saving higher payments to an Ophthalmic Surgeon.
In fact, the patient will not meet the surgeon until the day of surgery, shortly before the procedure. The surgeon generally has a high patient list to push through each day, paid on a commission basis, so little time to waste talking with the patient.
1. There is no Government legislation for refractive eye surgery and clinics are self policed.
2. Other than being a doctor, no specialist qualifications are legally required to carry out refractive eye surgery.
3. Details of clinical incidents, errors and near misses performed by individual surgeons are not provided: negligent surgeons move from clinic to clinic, continuing to operate on uninformed patients.
4. Following adverse results, ALL high street clinics refer numerous patients to eye hospitals for repairs. These referrals are paid for by the clinic responsible, usually conditional on the patient signing a 'gagging' order, a confidentiality agreement preventing them from discussing details publicly.
5. Many people are left traumatised, suffering with depression & PTSD.
Legislation would force clinics to publish accurate statistics, providing the public with detailed information.
100,000 signatures are needed for an automatic hearing in Parliament, but with media coverage, support from MPs, and public pressure, it's hoped legislation will be discussed before then.
If you would like more information please send a PM.
Thank you for your support.