Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Success for Red Veins in Eyes?

Success for Red Veins in Eyes?

Hi everyone,
    I am new here and I am looking for *hope* regarding the red veins in my eyes. I am a 35 year old woman and when I was 20 I developed prominent veins in my eyes, I think as a result of contact lenses. I stoppped wearing them and later had successful Lasik surgery (at age 22). Lately I have noticed that I have developed more red veins, and the red veins I already had have gotten bigger. My vision is close to 20/20, although I have some floaters. I saw an opthamologist who said my eyes were "healthy" and that glasses for distance were optional for me (I don't wear them much at all).

I am looking for success stories from those who may have had their red veins -- veins that felt permanent and lasted for a loooong time -- recede. I see on this formum the consensus is IBrite surgery is likely the only hope, but I want to believe the body can heal from this.

I generally do not have terribly dry eyes, although from time to time I wake up in the morning and they are quite dry. Then I use a preservative-free eye drop.

My situation is beginning to feel dire. At only 35, I have a lot of living left to do and the psychological effects of these veins wears on me. I have spent the last 15 years trying to "heal" them and avoiding many social situations and photographs because I feel I look horrific. I notice EVERYONE's eyes around me and no one ever has veins like I do. In the daylight they look scary.

My other question is -- could it be that those of us with a fixation on our veins have a psychological problem? Is that why eye doctors tell me my eyes are "healthy" -- I can't understand why no doctor seems to take this seriously. One day my eyes were clear, white and healthy and the next day -- literally -- I woke up and had these bulging veins. They are (pardon the pun) unsightly and have deeply affected my life and my confidence. I am never sure if those around me don't say anything because they are too polite, or if they don't notice them like I do. But make no mistake -- these are big veins that squiggle from my inner eye to the iris and are bright thick red. I have blue eyes so they look very distracting to me.

I don't want to have this issue all my life. I feel like I need stories of hope and healing to keep me going...I am so worn down.

Thank you.

Hi babybeluga,

I too feel like I have horrible red veins. I constantly look at people's eyes to see how red they are and compare mine to theirs. It's not uncommon for people to ask me if I'm tired or sick or even on drugs. However, recently I have started to feel like my obsession with my veins is more mental than physical/visual. Doctors have said the veins are fine and healthy. The other day, someone asked if I was tired and I snapped "oh, are my eyes red?" My friend said no, they weren't, I was just quieter than usual. I think a lot of it can be mental. We get in our own heads thinking that everyone is judging our eyes when actually we notice it much more than they do.

Also, I do think my veins are not as prominent if I've slept well and with a sleep mask on and when I've drank a TON of water throughout the day. Good luck!

Hi babybeluga

I can totally relate to your feelings. Ever since I developed new permanent eye veins I am constantly aware of my eyes. I avoid eye contact with people and am constantly checking to see if they are getting even worse. I am 26 and was fine for all my life. My veins came suddenly after an infection and never left.I was a contact lens user but never had any moisture problems until this infection.
    I have since been suffering from dry eye and red veins for 8 months and it's getting worse.
    I have read a great deal about eye veins and from what I know once inflammation and dry eye is treated the veins naturally get less red. They cannot become entirely invisible but they can improve a lot.
    I have also written to an eye surgeon at a reputable eye hospital to ask what kind of cosmetic treatment they can offer, if any. I was so comforted to find out that they can remove the superficial conjuctival veins. This is done by a surgeon using the same techniques as for removing a pterygium.
    I had already heard of cosmetic treatments like I-brite and Iso-white performed by laser surgeons and although it is the same technique as the one I mention above I would never go to anyone but a medical eye surgeon who also treats other eye conditions. Perhaps you could contact a very good eye hospital or university hospital and speak with someone who removes pterygiums and see if they will perfom this cosmetic procedure for you.
    I am considering this surgery but do see it as a last resort because right now I am working on reducing existing redness, and preventing future veins, by treating my dry eye. In fact I am not even a good candidate for the procedure right now because I have dry eyes- they only perform it if your eyes are in good condition. But I have this as an option in the future if I can ever financially afford it.
    I can't express enough how much these red veins have changed my entire life.
    My confidence has gone out the window and I am feeling generally down.
    And on top of that suffering the burning and endless discomfort from dry eye...
    But please know that you are not alone out there. And I am sure that you do not look as bad as you think. x

I have the exact same problem as you, babybeluga. I've been washing my eyelids with baby shampoo and doing warm compresses to my eyes in the morning and before bed but nothing has helped. When I see my opthamologist next month I'm going to ask him his opinion of the I-Brite procedure. I've already allowed my red eyes condition to waste too much of of life and am ready to try something more agressive to address it.

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out. If any of you have surgery (iBrite or something else) please come back and update me on it. I'm so worn out by having these veins in my eyes. My heart goes out to those of you dealing with it, too. It makes no sense to me why our bodies can't heal from something that seems, intellectually, to be something we should be able to heal from. I wish I knew some success stories.

Thank you to all of you.

BB

Hi beluga

I can completely relate to everything you mentioned in your original post. I am 27 and the veins in my eyes have got progressively worse over the years. The problem started with some redness in the corners of my eyes when I was about 19. I foolishly tried to correct the "problem" by using vasconstrictor eye drops, which I was using 3/4 times daily. At the time I had no idea how detrimental they were to my eyes and the rebound effect caused me to depend on them. In retrospect, I suspect the original problem was caused by allergies (I suffer from hayfever and dust allergies).

As it stands, I still use vasconstrictor drops every morning Monday-Friday. My job involves meeting important clients and it gets tiresome hearing "did you have a late night" "are you ok?". By about 2pm, my eyes look pretty red, but I use preservative-free drops to stop the dryness and I avoid looking in mirrors after midday!

I try not to be so obsessed about my eyes but it's impossible when your health is judged by the appearance of your eyes. It's held me back in my career and I spend the weekends trying to avoid social situations because I need to give my eyes a break from a weeks worth of eye drops!

I have researched the eye whitening and I brite procedure for a few years and I've decided to take the plunge and fly from London to LA for the I brite surgery. I'm booked in for the beginning of April. It's a shame that there doesn't seem to be more people on these forums who have actually had the procedure because it would be great to hear about their experiences. I've heard ups and downs, but I feel I need to make that step to get on with my life. I'm more than happy to keep you posted about how it goes for me

Quote Originally Posted by babybeluga View Post
    Hi,

Thank you for reaching out. If any of you have surgery (iBrite or something else) please come back and update me on it. I'm so worn out by having these veins in my eyes. My heart goes out to those of you dealing with it, too. It makes no sense to me why our bodies can't heal from something that seems, intellectually, to be something we should be able to heal from. I wish I knew some success stories.

Thank you to all of you.

BB

Hi Leo_

Yes! Please let us know how the surgery goes! I live in Canada and I wish there was a doctor who did the IBrite procedure here. It's far too $$$ for me to fly to the USA or Korea to do it.

Best of luck to you!

BB

Leo,

Are you planning to do the I-Brite procedure with Dr. Wachler in LA? I sent in some pictures of my eyes for Dr. Wachler to examine. The reply back was that I would be a "great candidate" and that the procedure will help me have brighter eyes. However, I still can't decide to take the plunge yet as desperate as I am to do something about my eyes. I guess the healing time is what concern me the most right now since it can take up to a month until the outer membrane has healed, but what will my eyes look like during that whole month? And it appears that you'll have to use artificial tears daily throughout the day forever, etc. I'll have to talk about this with my opthamologist first for his opinion.

At any rate, I wish you luck with the procedure and please do post how you're doing afterward. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Hey everyone!

Just wanted to know if anyone has gotten the I-Brite procedure done? I have sent pictures to Dr. Wachler and he says im a good canidate...

If anyone could share their experiences with it, I would greatly appreciate it!!!!

Hi Systane

Yes I'll be getting the I-brite procedure done with Dr Wachler in LA. I'm expecting my eyes to look pretty bad during the first month but luckily I've arranged with my company to work from home. I'll be a bit of a recluse for a month, but 4 weeks isnt too bad in the grand scheme of things! With regards to using artificial tears for the rest of your life, I think thats a recommendation in terms of stopping a reoccurrence of the original reason for red eyes. I have over-used "get the red out" drops to the point where they have formed extra veins in my eyes. I still rely on them in the morning. So for me, replacing them with preservative-free drops will be a blessing. Thanks for your message, I'll definitely keep you guys updated.

Leo,

I hope your procedures with Dr. Wachler went well, and you're recuperating nicely

My opthamologist is having me try AzaSite for a month. I doubt if it'll do anything though.

I'm in the same boat...

Im 22years old and have been suffering with redness in my right eye that wont go away!

I've tried many different drops, hayfever/allergy anti-hestimine ones, moisturising tears, cold compressors. The only drops that semi work are the "reduce redness" ones but I know they are bad for your eyes but sometimes I just have no choice eg. work, social events etc..

I wear contact lenses and have done for many years and my opticians could not find anything wrong with my eye, they say it could be an allergy. I'm rarely wearing my contacts anymore.

Its strange because it is only in my right eye, my left is fine! And sometimes it wont be as noticeable (but still faintly there) but say 1/2 hour later it will be extremely red again.

Hi LJC123.... I am the same.. Right eye is worse then my left eye. My right is visually stronger. It strange...

Went to see an opthamologist the oher day and he tolf me to do hot compression(eye bag), Hyabak drops which are soothing.

So I will keep you informed. Keep the faith!! Easier said than done I know.

For sure DO NOT TAKE THE "GET THE RED OUT DROPS" I used them for a long time and now I have the consequences.

Take care

Hi Leo, Did you take the plunge?? It would be great to get your feedback on the I brite procedue .. I am in the UK as well.

Thanks

Red veins

Quote Originally Posted by Systane View Post
    I have the exact same problem as you, babybeluga. I've been washing my eyelids with baby shampoo and doing warm compresses to my eyes in the morning and before bed but nothing has helped. When I see my opthamologist next month I'm going to ask him his opinion of the I-Brite procedure. I've already allowed my red eyes condition to waste too much of of life and am ready to try something more agressive to address it.
    I'm 52 & have had dry eyes my whole life but they've gotten really bad the past 3 years. I've been seeing Dr. Robert Latkany in NYC. All he sees are patients w/dry eyes (he wrote the book "Dry Eye Remedy"). First of all, he diagnosed me w/ocular rosacea & had me stop ALL the drops I was using & said to help my very red eyes look whiter, to STOP warm compresses. He has me use a cold compress for 2 mins. 2 x a day. He said the warm compress will just dialate the veins more. He had me stop using Restasis which I had been using since it first became available years ago but they always seemed to make my eyes redder. I do find if I don't get enough uninterrupted sleep my eyes are really red. He put me on Doxycycline; 100 mg 2 x a day for 6 weeks & then 1 pill 1 x a day for 6 more weeks. My eyes are better than they've been in years. My eyes are still redder than most people's, but they are much better & feel much better.

Just thought I'd share!

Hey guys, sorry that its taken so long for a response. It's been a very long and uncomfortable journey the past few months since the operation. To be honest it hasn't been very positive at all. For me, the operation has not helped my eyes in the slightest. In fact my left eye has more red veins than before the surgery. The only positive is that I haven't used "get the red out" drops for over 3 months and my eyes feel less gritty and tight than before. This improvement would have happened with or without the operation, so I definitely recommend getting off those asap (I know its tough at first)! I've waited this long to update you because I was hoping that there would be some final healing. I've been advised by the Dr to wait until the end of this month (July) for the full results but I can already see that redness is till very visible and hasn't improved.

I will provide a more detailed update during the first week of August after I have the doctors final assessment. I'm praying that something can be done about it and that I haven't just wasted the biggest financial investment of my life. Fingers crossed

Leo,
    I think you had the procedure done in April? Don't lose heart- people all heal differently . I think you may just need to allow yourself more time. You're in my prayers that this will still turn out well.

Quote Originally Posted by leo_ View Post
    Hey guys, sorry that its taken so long for a response. It's been a very long and uncomfortable journey the past few months since the operation. To be honest it hasn't been very positive at all. For me, the operation has not helped my eyes in the slightest. In fact my left eye has more red veins than before the surgery. The only positive is that I haven't used "get the red out" drops for over 3 months and my eyes feel less gritty and tight than before. This improvement would have happened with or without the operation, so I definitely recommend getting off those asap (I know its tough at first)! I've waited this long to update you because I was hoping that there would be some final healing. I've been advised by the Dr to wait until the end of this month (July) for the full results but I can already see that redness is till very visible and hasn't improved.

I will provide a more detailed update during the first week of August after I have the doctors final assessment. I'm praying that something can be done about it and that I haven't just wasted the biggest financial investment of my life. Fingers crossed
    Hi , I am sorry that its not all that has been expected , keep positive...I am sure it will come good.
    A huge positive is that you are off the "get the red out" that is big win..I have been off for six months now and am glad for that...
    I am also in the UK so if you need to sond off feel free... keep us posted on your progression.

Hey Leo, Any changes? Were your eyes white at any point after the surgery, and other than them still being red, did you experience any other side effects or negative effects? Are you considering having Dr. BW perform the surgery again if it didn't have a good outcome? I know Mark from the old board was very down about when his surgery didn't yield any results, but he went back a second time and was pleased the 2nd time around.

Hi , I have come across this patent that is intended to reduce redness without the rebound affect we live with.

Its quite technical but in most understandable. I am trying to find where the patent is or whether the company will release the product. Have a read and see wha you think... http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2010/0029660.html

Hey Leo, where'd you go? Did Dr. BW tell you not to post for another 2 months? If so that's a bit sketchy. They did say the redness could last up to 4 months but pretty sure if it's over 3 months and you still have severe eye redness it's there to stay unless you want to try the surgery again. Hope you're doing ok and please update us.

I wonder if anyone that has had red veins permanently ever had them fade??

Any good news?

Hey darkhorse, and everybody

No Darkhorse, I wasnt told by anybody not to post (I dont think I'd ever listen to anybody telling me to not do something, haha). I just wanted to give my eyes a chance to heal before I commented too much. The situation now (8 months post op) is that Ive spoken to the Doctor to discuss what can be done. The original operation hasnt improved my eyes at all but hes recommended a second op which he believes will be a success. He said that I had a very unusual and atypical reaction to the op but the second op should correct this. It's been a difficult decision but I am definitely going forward with it. The current appearance of my red eyes has affected my job and lifestyle hugely, my confidence has been very low and I want to feel back in control. Hence I'm flying back to LA in January for surgery part 2

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse81 View Post
    Hey Leo, where'd you go? Did Dr. BW tell you not to post for another 2 months? If so that's a bit sketchy. They did say the redness could last up to 4 months but pretty sure if it's over 3 months and you still have severe eye redness it's there to stay unless you want to try the surgery again. Hope you're doing ok and please update us.

Hey Vassy

Did you look into this further?

What does Dr Waxler actually do in this procedure? (for info) How does he assess the causes of the vascularised eye?
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

everyone seems to be a "good candidate", and everyone will get healed.. feels like everything is just a big scam to ppl who are desperate, just like i am. im curious how much $ for an operation?

Hey Leo, Good luck with the second operation. Hopefully it'll go well. There was a guy Mark on the old board who did not have a good outcome the first time around and the second time around it worked out well for him. It took a while after his second surgery to have the whites show but he was happy after the second operation. Hopefully things will work out well for you this time.

Hi Leo, I have been doing a bit of research
    http://www.revophth.com/content/d/th...opics/c/35994/ a recent article associated with our problem, so it on peoples radar

There is a company called Alpha Synergy who is developing a drop which has considerable reduced rebound affect. It has passed stage 2 development and is being developed by Alpha Synergy in the U.S

This is the person company driving the drug- Gerald Horn, check him out on linkedin .

Out of 1-10 , how bad are your eyes, 10 being worst. For me I think I am about a 4 on weekends and then about a 7 at work

What will the Dr do the second time which he did not do first time? It takes a lot of bottle what you have done and I full understand your reasons for doing so.....I have been tempted myself.

Keep in there my friend, you wil come through this.
    V

My posts don't seem to be appearing on here. Just checking that this one works??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast