Okay so I noticed that several people have written on here about their experience with Lipiflow and I wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
I got the procedure done on Dec. 7, 2011 at the Pepose Vision Institute in St. Louis, MO. I was very lucky because this is only like 30 minutes from my house. The procedures total cost was $1690 and was split up into 3 different appointments. $190 for the initial testing, $1500 for the main the procedure, and no cost for the final checkup visit.
1) The Lipiflow procedure only lasts about 15 minutes total
2) Relatively painless
3) Tests provide information on the 3 layers of tear film. (Mucous layer, Aqueous layer, Lipid layer)
1) Too expensive
2) If you have small eyes, like me, it can be a little uncomfortable
3) If you have plugs in the procedure can loosen them or remove them completely
4) Not enough studies have been done to show how well the procedure really works
So, overall I would say I am a little disappointed with Lipiflow. I waited almost 2 months to write this review because I wanted to give it a chance. My aqueous layer and mucous layer tested normal before the procedure and I was happy to hear this. My lipid layer however was very low. They measure by a scale of 0 to 250. Anything above 115 is considered normal. My left eye was 37 and my right eye was 47 before the procedure. A month after the procedure they tested again and my left eye was 49 and my right eye was 61. (37/49 and 47/61) So there was a small improvement. I barely notice the change, maybe a very slight improvement. (Certainly not worth $1500)
So basically I was a perfect candidate for Lipiflow and I only received a very small improvement from it. With that said, I would have this procedure done again. If the price comes down greatly, to maybe like $300 for the procedure I could easily see myself putting this money aside every year and getting this done, but no way for $1500.