Thread: MG Probing

MG Probing

I had a bad case of MGD. Dr. Maskin performed the MG Probing on my eyes. I noticed a great improvement within one day. Secondly, he addressed the reasons behind the MGD. I had SLKs the surface of both eyes, and a large mass of veins on each eye. He resurfaced both of my eyes. My eyes are now comfortable.

He did say that the probing would probably last about a year on average.

Blog Entries
    What are SLKs? I don't understand about the mass of veins in ea eye. And did he do PTK?

An SLK is superior limbal keratoconjunctivitis. I think there are a number of types. The type I had in both eyes is a wrinkling or looseness of the conjunctivia, due to the tolerance between the globe and eyelid being too tight. The too tight tolerance is due to inflammation (I think) of MGD. Anyway, when this looseness is appears on the conjunctiva, any change in climate, blinking, or any small disturbance causes more inflammation. It's a complication of DES. The mass of veins in each eye was due to overuse of vascular constrictors (Visine). He removed both of these problems in order to reconstruct the surface of each eye.

Your definition of SLK is correct, but your reasoning of why it occurs is slightly incorrect. I have SLK in both eyes as determined by doctors at the Mayo Clinic, UNC Chapel Hill, and Duke Eye Clinic. My SLK is causd by tight upper eye lids in the absence of thyroid eye disease. SLK is a rare disease with only 3-5% of the population diagnosed. It is not caused by MGD and dry eyes as some are under the impression. SLK is worse in the presence of dry eyes which is very common in SLK paients since there is an inflammatory componenet to it. However, SLK is not caused by MGD or aqueous deficincy. If that was the cause then SLK occurence would be higher than 3-5%. I would think actually it is the other way around with SLK causing the dry eyes. SLK and dry eyes share common sypmtoms but SLK has the distinct redness and inflammation in the upper eye globe region. Surgery for SLK is not recommended since reoccurence is common. In my case, both eye doctors told me to wait it out and hopefully I go into remission.

Chemia,
    Thanks for your thorough explanation. I think there is some variations in the types of SLKs. I will get a better explanation on my next post-op visit. My doctor actually had mentioned that my type was in a family of SLKs.

How much does this procedure cost?

Chemia,
    Do you experience any kind of pain from the SLK? Say, from the upper portion of your eyeball?

Yes, this where the pain is mostly. I currently wear soft contact lenses and they help with the pain. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.