Thread: Experiences with I-Brite procedure

Experiences with I-Brite procedure

Hi,

Has anyone heard about this procedure:

i-Brite Doctor Page
    i-Brite on the News

From the site: involves removing the thin membrane that holds most of the red veins and yellow or brown material. After removal, a crystal clear membrane (without red blood vessels, yellow or brown spots) grows back in its place. That's how eyes can become whiter and brighter.

I'll take the info into my eye doctor the next time to see what she thinks and let you know.

A little background: I'm a 42 year old female who has had sensitive, prone to bloodshot eyes as long as I can remember. Not burning and itching, though. For the last 10 years: good sleep, only drink water, little processed/restaurant food, no other health problems whatsoever. When I cleaned up my eating, my allergies even disappeared. But not those durned red eyes! Stopped wearing contacts altogether a year and a half ago.

Been doing Dr. Latkany's eye spa treatment at least twice a day for three months. Lots of gunk from my Meibomian glands for the first few weeks. Now the oil is mostly clear, but still my eyes are bloodshot. Even though my eyes aren't any worse in the morning, I'm going to give those nightwear goggles a shot before I try this (or any!) procedure.

Folks on the boards say it could take as long as 6 months (maybe longer?) for eyes to heal. I'm going to wait at least 6 months.

Optometrist couldn't find a reason for my bloodshot eyes. Her only suggestion was that stop wearing the contacts.

Thanks so much for any information or feedback you have,
    Lisa

bloodshot eyes and contact lenses

I've never been able to wear contacts. First tried hard contacts at age 13, then gas permeable soft lenses in late 20's, then disposable lenses in early 30's. Eyes stayed uncomfortable and bloodshot.

With the hard lenses the doc's guess was the eyes weren't getting enough oxygen. The first soft lenses became stuck to my eyes and I had to get a doctor to remove them. He thought it was a reaction to Thimerasol in the solutions. Then disposables were just constantly uncomfortable, as the others had also been. I now think the problem with all three was dry eyes, which didn't become dramatically bad until age 35 (diagnosed as SLK) and was only just officially diagnosed as Dry Eye Syndrome (tear insufficiency) this year at age 50. I have chronic Blepharitis too but have that under control with home measures.

Mary in VA

I've had the I-brite procedure

Lisa,

I've had red eyes for most of my adult life, and there were several reasons for it. I found it very difficult to make eye contact with people, which really bothered me. I went to Los Angeles to the only expert in I-Brite: Dr. Brian Boxer-Wachler. I am very pleased with the outcome. It has changed my life. Send in your eye history along with some pictures, and they will evaluate you.

Take Care,

Gary
    Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa C View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone heard about this procedure:

i-Brite Doctor Page
    i-Brite on the News

From the site: involves removing the thin membrane that holds most of the red veins and yellow or brown material. After removal, a crystal clear membrane (without red blood vessels, yellow or brown spots) grows back in its place. That's how eyes can become whiter and brighter.

I'll take the info into my eye doctor the next time to see what she thinks and let you know.

A little background: I'm a 42 year old female who has had sensitive, prone to bloodshot eyes as long as I can remember. Not burning and itching, though. For the last 10 years: good sleep, only drink water, little processed/restaurant food, no other health problems whatsoever. When I cleaned up my eating, my allergies even disappeared. But not those durned red eyes! Stopped wearing contacts altogether a year and a half ago.

Been doing Dr. Latkany's eye spa treatment at least twice a day for three months. Lots of gunk from my Meibomian glands for the first few weeks. Now the oil is mostly clear, but still my eyes are bloodshot. Even though my eyes aren't any worse in the morning, I'm going to give those nightwear goggles a shot before I try this (or any!) procedure.

Folks on the boards say it could take as long as 6 months (maybe longer?) for eyes to heal. I'm going to wait at least 6 months.

Optometrist couldn't find a reason for my bloodshot eyes. Her only suggestion was that stop wearing the contacts.

Thanks so much for any information or feedback you have,
    Lisa

Gary - Did you have dry eyes before the procedure? Or is this something that developed after the procedure?
    If you had dry eyes before the procedure, did Dr B-W express any concern about the dry eyes? Exactly how dry were / are your eyes before / after the procedure?
    I'm wondering, if like Lasik, this is one of those procedures that works for some people but in others, causes a lot of problems. So many people have had Lasik without issue that it's now being performed in every corner office and those offices never talk of the stories like the many people here, who suffer from varying degrees of agony due to Lasik-induced dry eye.
    Can you tell us more about the procedure and Dr B-W's analysis of your eyes and how he decided that you were a fit for the surgery despite your eye issues?

I've had many years to figure out my eyes and their condition. The redness on the surface of my eye was not only unsightly, it was also contributing to the dry condition. I have eliminated foods, added oils to my diet, kept well hydrated, etc. to help with this. Most days my eyes are just great in terms of comfort.
    After the I-brite procedure, not only do my eyes look great, they have never felt better. I have found that I need 7-8 hours of sleep to have my eyes feeling good. Your eyes have to be healthy to do this(no chronic conditions).

Gary

Does anyone know more about Dr Brian Ibrite method?? and the experiences? Thanks

Hi Gary

I'm going for this procedure in April. How are your eyes now?

Quote Originally Posted by garfunk View Post
    I've had many years to figure out my eyes and their condition. The redness on the surface of my eye was not only unsightly, it was also contributing to the dry condition. I have eliminated foods, added oils to my diet, kept well hydrated, etc. to help with this. Most days my eyes are just great in terms of comfort.
    After the I-brite procedure, not only do my eyes look great, they have never felt better. I have found that I need 7-8 hours of sleep to have my eyes feeling good. Your eyes have to be healthy to do this(no chronic conditions).

Gary

thinking about having this procedure...what does your eyes look like week 1? how long before you returned to work? was there a lot of redness still? any issues post surgery? also wondering out of the thousands of people who have
    completed the I-brite procedure why we don't hear about the success stories on these type of forums where we are all searching for a cure?

I wouldnt trust any procedure with my eyes, unless it was for serious medical emergencies.

IBrite: http://www.boxerwachler.com/whiteeyes/

Quote: ''Patients may note a scratchy sensation for a period of days, dryness of the eyes, recurrence of blood vessels, and light sensitivity which are known risks.''

..I dont think so!

Everyone has to make their own decisions.