Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lipi-flow

Lipi-flow

I wanted to give a "heads up" to European patients that the Dr. Korb's Lipi-Flow system is now available in Europe, though not yet in the US. Check out the website, http://www.lipiflow.com/en/
    ElaineH

Has anyone heard of this being used yet in Europe? Looks like it could help with Mei Glands?

tks

mar

I have emailed the company to see if they could shed any light on their European operations but no response from them yet.

Actually did same and got a response to say "Thank you for your interest in TearScience and yes we have 4 sites currently active in Europe specifically in UK, Germany, Belgium and France. Let us know if you would be interested in any of these sites and we will have them follow-up with you". I've asked for specifics around the UK

Message from Tearscience

Got this mail from Tearscience earlier today:

"The site that we have installed our equipment in the UK is the following:

Mr. Sheraz Day, MD
    Centre for Sight
    38 Queen Ann Street
    London, UK W1G 8HZ
    Www.centreforsight.com

As for Germany it is the following:

Augenklinik am Marienplatz
    Marienplatz 18/19
    90331 Munchen, Germany
    Tel: 089 23 24 10 80
    Fx: 089 23 24 10 10

Please let us know if we can help you in any other way and do hope it works out for you."

I m gonna check out Munich as soon as it will be possible for me. Will report back...
    Dysfunctional Tear Syndrome ("Dry Eye Disease") is a bane of modern society.

Hi Guys!

I'm from Brazil but I am very interested in LipiFlow!

Do you know of someone who has passed the procedure? When one of you pass, please leave your story here!

If you want to add me, I would be pleased to follow more a story of healing.

Thank you for your attention, and good luck to those who are trying to treat!

Exclamation

Lipiflow in Canada

Apparently Lipiflow has been approved for use in Canada as well as Europe. Does anyone know of any Canadian doctors offering the treatment?

I ve had the treatment yesterday. It was rather unpleasant and my eyes were quite irritated afterwards. No significant change so far but the Dr. said it takes up to three weeks until patients notice any effect...

What was really interesting is the LipiView screening shows on some kinf of index regarding the quality of the lipid layer, that min is - surprisingly - really fcked up-- The Dr. said on the index of 100, between 70 and 40 is a clinically significant evaporative dry eye for which the treatment is recommended. I have 32 and 28... Guess over the years I ve really gotten more or less used to the bad sensation and constant irritation...

If anyone else is having the treatment, it would surely be interesting to compare values...

Thanks for the information. Is the treatment repeated until the desired index is reached?
    Also do you have a follow up months later to see if the improvement stays consistent?

Hi,

the treatment is only intended single. It is really rather irritating... My lid margin was almost "wound" afterwards...They did not measure my tearfilm a second time post-treatment as the effect should take place after minimum two to three weeks. They did however check my glands again after the procedure under the slitlamp and said that they are "clear" and "open" now for whatever that means....

Will report back in case I notice any sustained improvements

Lipiflow in UK

It's great to hear that there's a new and possibly really effective treatment for mgd.

I enquired centre of sight in the UK about Lipiflow and they replied that it is the site in East Grinstead where they have Lipiflow installed.

It sounds to me that Lipiflow in time can reverse the condition so that the oil will be coming out as it should...

Quote Originally Posted by Philipp_from_Germany View Post
    Hi,

the treatment is only intended single. It is really rather irritating... My lid margin was almost "wound" afterwards...They did not measure my tearfilm a second time post-treatment as the effect should take place after minimum two to three weeks. They did however check my glands again after the procedure under the slitlamp and said that they are "clear" and "open" now for whatever that means....

Thanks for the quick response and hopefully your lids will start feeling better. Did the application of heat and massage make sense to you or are you skeptical? Please keep us posted on your follow up visit.

Hi,

Oh please do because I'm thinking about having this treatment - if I'm a suitable candidate. London isn't the most convenient place for me to get to - and work commitments have been a bit heavy recently so I was hoping to do something in the New Year.

I've made contact with this practice already but the person on the phone wasn't that helpful; to be fair, she probably had limits to what she could say but I wanted to know more about assessment for suitability and what it entailed. Any information on this (when you feel up to it of course) would be helpful.

What did you mean when you described your lid margin as being wound afterwards?

Many thanks

I m now almost one week post treatment. No significant changes. Meibomian glands seem to be producing the same amount/quality of oil than before...I m getting the feeling this Lipiflow device may be filed in the "snake oil" folder.

Will report again in a week.

Concerning the "wound" question. Some of the Meibomian Gland orifices appeared like red dots, so I reckon they might have been superficially bleeding.

It's disappointing that there seems to be no change at all but hopefully there should be something in a couple of weeks.

".............. Dr. said it takes up to three weeks until patients notice any effect..."

Thanks Phillip.

Blog Entries

video

vid has been removed from youtube
    whats going on....

patrick

Thumbs down Update

Well, I am two weeks post-treatment..

I am sorry to report that I actually think my dry eye symptoms have worsened since the procedure. This week and the last I have had visibly blocked Meibomian glands on my lid (chalazions) which I haven't had in two years...

As a consequence, I strongly advice anyone against having this particular treatment. It might possibly be more harmful than anything else.

"Lipiflow" is a nice and tempting name. I was stupid enough to have fallen for it.

SNAKE OIL, of the worst kind!

Well, I am two weeks post-treatment..

I am sorry to report that I actually think my dry eye symptoms have worsened since the procedure. This week and the last I have had visibly blocked Meibomian glands on my lid (chalazions) which I haven't had in two years...
    Philipp

I am so sorry that this is the outcome. Have you contacted them to see if it's normal?

I spoke to CFS the other day to clarify some information they sent me (it was very vague....) The receptionist said that around 15 people had gone for the treatment and thought it was too early to comment on its success.

She used the word `trial' although I don't think she intended to. Perhaps I was a bit unfair by putting her on the spot.

I hope things get better for you. How are you treating the chalzion?

Blog Entries
    I am really sorry that it didn't work out for you, Phillip.

Going to have to strongly disagree with the "snake oil" characterization though. It doesn't deserve that label.

We all know there is no one size fits all dry eye treatment... especially for MGD which is complex and everyone seems to have a slightly different condition with slightly different needs.

I think there is a lot of effort right now going into the right way to get the meibomians working better, both pharmacologically and through heat and physical manipulation of various sorts (lipiflow, IPL, Maskin probe etc). Dr. Korb is one of the most knowledgeable guys around in this area and I know many people who have been to see him including one who participated in the clinical trial and had quite a different experience than you. I think we've seen evidence here on the board that each of these approaches is going to have certain people for whom it works really well. I hope that at least one of these newish things will develop more than a 'niche' treatment, something that can help more people.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Zone

thanks

thanks so much for reporting back on this.
    what disappointing news. i hope it's a temporary set back and that you feel better soon.
    betty

I ve had the treatment yesterday. It was rather unpleasant and my eyes were quite irritated afterwards. No significant change so far but the Dr. said it takes up to three weeks until patients notice any effect...

What was really interesting is the LipiView screening shows on some kinf of index regarding the quality of the lipid layer, that min is - surprisingly - really fcked up-- The Dr. said on the index of 100, between 70 and 40 is a clinically significant evaporative dry eye for which the treatment is recommended. I have 32 and 28... Guess over the years I ve really gotten more or less used to the bad sensation and constant irritation...

If anyone else is having the treatment, it would surely be interesting to compare values...

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Petris View Post

Going to have to strongly disagree with the "snake oil" characterization though. It doesn't deserve that label.
    I most certainly hope you are right Rebecca. nonetheless. There must be a reason why (other than the high costs) there is no data from huge, statistically significant clinical trials on these new techniques.. If it would - in general - work for a lot of MGD folks, they should be able to come up with more valid back-up for their claims than nice websites, paid-for doctors on TV ads, isolated case studies or 20 person trials, or fancy DVDs...

Blog Entries
    There must be a reason why (other than the high costs) there is no data from huge, statistically significant clinical trials on these new techniques..
    Well, huge is not really practical in early trials, but I agree we need statistically significance...

So what data is available now? Here's a stab at it. Please add if you know of others.

Lipiflow: Lipiflow is in trials for FDA approval and presumably like all drugs/devices that get approved the data will be available through the FDA in due course.

I found an abstract from a study of 139 patients. Since it was compared to iHeat which I've tried and thought was quite lame in terms of producing useful heat, I'm not sure how useful the relative data is however I appreciate that they had to have something standardized/predictable to compare it to.

I haven't looked into the non US approvals of this but presumably any regulatory authority that has already approved it has something?

IPL: Some studies have clearly been completed though I don't think any have been published yet. Considering how recently they started doing this there's nothing really surprising about that... the publication cycle being what it is.

Here's a quote from a recent article (my emphasis):

Results of a study designed to investigate the addition of microdermabrasion to intense pulsed light (IPL) therapy in patients with meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD) and dry eye syndrome corroborate the efficacy of IPL for increasing tear break-up time (TBUT) and decreasing dry eye symptoms but fail to confirm the hypothesis that the benefits of IPL may be enhanced by microdermabrasion, said Dr Rolando Toyos at the annual meeting of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS).

In a previous study supported by an ASCRS research grant, Dr Toyos used IPL to treat 100 patients with MGD and dry eye syndrome who remained symptomatic despite use of many prior therapies. They received IPL at four sessions spaced 4 to 6 weeks apart with the treatment area encompassing the midface from the tragus to the nose bilaterally. The results showed TBUT increased significantly from baseline and there were also symptomatic improvements measured by responses to a subjective questionnaire.
    MASKIN PROBE: Here's an abstract of a 25-patient study published recently in Cornea.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Zone

So, just a final update for those who might have been waiting..

A little over three weeks post-treatment without any notable improvements.

Happy new year and all!

I have had treatment with the lipiflow and after my follow up of 1 month my glands had made clear improvement. I found the device slightly uncomfortable but not irratating by any means. I had only 2 glands working in each eye before treatment and after 1 month I had 9-10 open. I think that that is an improvement that shows its not snake oil.

RE: Lipiflow

You're in the States, correct? Where did you have it done?

Thanks,
    Sheila

any update?

Hi - has anyone else had expeience with Lipiflow - or any further updates from those who have already posted?

Thx
    El
    The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

I've only had experience with the company (Centre for Sight, London and East Grinstead) but not the actual treatment.

They are short on testimonials so I contact them every few months for updates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast