Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom moisture chamber glasses - Mark at "Special Eyes" in Winnipeg

Blog Entries

Custom moisture chamber glasses - Mark at "Special Eyes" in Winnipeg

In case anyone is interested... I just got back from my appointment... picked out a nice frame to be made into custom moisture chambers... how cool to have found someone in Canada that does this!

I'll report back after they are completed... I'm quite hopeful that they will perform as well as my Wiley's, yet look enough like regular glasses to not be too terribly conspicuous for work...

After seeing samples of some of his work, I think he seems to be really good at what he does... too bad there aren't more like him that can help people like us!

...he's retiring in September though...
    Last edited by SAAG; 10-May-2010 at 21:39.
    Yet another post-Lasik (2005)...
    Anyone have a time machine so I can go back and undo this mess?

I just put an order in for Wiley's with a rx in them. It cost a bundle and I'll still look like a freak - but a freak with more comfortable eyes. May I ask what the price range is for your custom chamber glasses? I feel like the Wiley's will be good but not good enough and would like to pursue custom glasses. Please excuse the question if it is too rude...

Blog Entries
    whoops... somehow posted twice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katiedid View Post
    I just put an order in for Wiley's with a rx in them. It cost a bundle and I'll still look like a freak - but a freak with more comfortable eyes. May I ask what the price range is for your custom chamber glasses? I feel like the Wiley's will be good but not good enough and would like to pursue custom glasses. Please excuse the question if it is too rude...
    It's not rude at all...

Basically, just figure out how much regular rx glasses would normally cost you, then add on another $160 for the moisture chamber part of it.

He can only make them from frames that go all around the lenses ... so any frame style where the lens is not completely bordered by the frame won't work. Also, he said he prefers to work with metal frames...

About the freak part... I can totally relate.. I'm starting to accept it finally though... for a long time it's been hard because the LASIK that was supposed to make me not wear glasses at all ended up causing me to wear freaking GOGGLES.. OMG... I mean honestly... what the hell?!?! That is just wrong... I mean really...

Oh well... like you said... looking like a freak is outweighed by the increase in comfort

And, well, like I said, surprisingly, some people actually LIKE my MEG's... and as for the Wiley's, a friend pointed out the other day that she actually thinks they look BETTER than those fit-over sunglasses lenses that people wear over their rx glasses... so try not to feel to bad over the Wiley's

Blog Entries

pictures

I want pics and a few at angles...and also how does he do an exact fit and what are they made of?

Blog Entries
    I think they are similar to the Eagle Vision side shields... you can check that out on their site... once he gets them onto the frames, I have to come in and he will trim the side shields to fit my face as closely as possible without leaving big indents in my skin from wearing from... ie. if he trims TOO close, I'll get indents, so he tries to avoid that.

I'll post more about this fine tuning once I get to that stage... I assume at the moment they're waiting for my lenses to come in?? and maybe the frames too??

Blog Entries

Wow!!

Ok guys... I just got home from picking up my custom moisture chambers... they look absolutely freaking fabulous! Seriously. I look like a perfectly normal person wearing perfectly normal glasses!

In fact, they look SO normal, that if I were back in my 20's again, and wanted to go to the bar with my friends (or club or whatever you call it where you live), I could wear these and I bet NO-ONE would notice a thing... seriously. They look THAT normal!

I can walk as fast as I want and the air movement doesn't bother my eyes... there is hardly any of it that gets through these things. For sure if I was outside in the wind, that would be a different story... but for the kind of breeze you get from walking indoors, these are 99.9% as good as wearing Wiley's.

I was staring at myself in the mirror, and you can only see the moisture chamber part if you really really stare, and catch it at JUST the right angle... and even then, you can barely see it. So as you can imagine, since the general public will NOT be looking for any crazy moisture chambers, regular people you run into are NOT likely to notice these. VERY COOL!

These have FAR FAR FAR exceeded my expectations!

He worked for 1.25 hours to get the moisture chamber part trimmed just right... but it was totally worth the wait... there's lots of putting them on...see how they feel... take them off... trim a bit... put them on again... trim a bit more... etc... it's finicky work, but with patience, you can get them just right. How cool!

I know some of you had asked me before for pictures... I will get some on here as soon as I get a chance.. but you know what? When you see the pics, you will be amazed... you won't see a thing!

Hi SAAG, what material did he use? Where can we get this material, maybe we can try and make them ourselves if we have this material?

Great news! I can hardly wait to see pictures!

C

Blog Entries
    What he uses is like that clear plastic you might use to protect a tablecloth... it seems to be just right in terms of thickness... it's stiff enough to hold its shape and all...

I don't think I'd have the patience to do it myself and make my own look this good...he just did such a perfect job of fitting the plastic... it fits in between the lens and frame perfectly with no gaps, and nothing sticking out the front... and then there's the trimming to do.. he used what looked like manicure scissors for that.

But hey, if you have any luck with making your own, let us know!

Blog Entries
    So I've been trying to upload a few pics... but it won't let me... I've tried doing them as .JPEG (can't get it to be the lower case version... not sure if that matters)... since this didn't work, I then copied the images into a word doc... so that file extension was .docx ... that wouldn't upload either.

All images are small file sizes (less than 50 kb each)...

Any solution to this?

Blog Entries

Have pics at last!

Ok.. couldn't get the pics to upload on the forum itself, but it DID work when I added the pics to my forum blog.

So... just click on the link in the upper right corner of my posts to see my blog entries... there's only 2... one of them is the one with moisture chamber pics.

Blog Entries

first I want to say..you are beautiful!

Even with your new glasses...they are soo cool girl! I wish I could get some! Maybe he knows of people that can make them in washington state???? You defintely can go out with those things! good find girl!

I find it amazing there is a huge pool of people trying to find fashionable glasses...they could make millliooooooooonnnnnnnssssss....haha If anyone knows someone that wants to create a new business....tell them!

Amazing--you really can't see the shields. I call that SUCCESS! Kudos to your optician.

Calli

SAAG they look great and yes galsses look good on you. Question: Did you have to use a specific frame or could you go with any frame for the glasses? Also is the material used to create the shields anything special or is it the eagle vision material

Blog Entries
    If I understood correctly when he explained it to me, the frame must go all the way around the lens, and it is preferable to use a metal frame rather than plastic. As you can imagine, those requirments don't limit you much at all when choosing a frame since there are still a TON of choices out there.

I'm going back next week though ... his shop wasn't drafty at all, so they felt perfect in there... but when I wore them at work, where it is quite drafty (great for fresh air... bad for dry eyes), too much air was getting through... soooo... will get them closed up a bit more for more protection, and that should do the trick nicely!

Anyhow, I'm really really glad I have these... if you can find someone within a reasonable distance of where you live to make these, you'll be SOOOO glad you did it! I found out about this place from a LensCrafters... asked the optician there if he knew anyone that did this... he wasn't familiar with moisture chamber glasses, but said if anyone in the city could do it, it would be Mark at Special Eyes... I was surprised that someone at a chain store in the mall would know this... so it was a nice surprise. Maybe some of you might have similar luck!

Oh... one more thing... in case someone comes along that might benefit from this...

You know how I mentioned that he is retiring in September? Well, he showed one of the other opticians in the store how do make these... also, his son is an optician here in the city and is also able to do this.... not sure where his son works though... anyhow... good to know of other options for post-September.

But do they get foggy? I used the foam from onion goggles (which unfortunately don't fit me) and made my own sunglasses airproof. The problem is that sometimes they get foggy because they are so tight now. In a car for example.

Blog Entries
    As they are right now, they haven't fogged up at all. Once I get them a bit more closed up, no doubt they will be more prone to fogging once in a while... I don't think there's any way around that if I want really good protection from moving air.

My Wiley's seal quite well to my face... barely any gaps... and they rarely fog up on me. If it is hot and humid out, and there is no wind, then they for sure will fog... but it's a small price to pay for having almost perfect protection the rest of the time.

For me, I want my custom moisture chambers primarily for work - I'm always running around, and the stores tend to have moving air - plus, due to a/c in summer, heating in winter, and NO humidifier, the air tends to be very dry. So, in this particular environment, I can wear fairly sealed-up glasses with no fogging.

Those same glasses that work so well in this kind of environment would probably fog up in my well-humidified house... but that's ok, since I'll won't be wearing these at home.

Regarding fogging up in the car... I get this with my Wiley's in summer if I don't have the a/c on... usually, if I turn on the a/c, it gets rid of the fogging.... the little bit of moving air helps.

Blog Entries
    Well, have my newly sealed up glasses done!

Someone had asked how they are made... me being paranoid that I won't be able to find someone to make me a new pair when these wear out, I asked Marc if I could watch while he made them so I could learn how it's done!

The side shields are made out of the exact same stuff that people use to protect their tablecloths... you know that clear plastic? So you can pick some up at any fabric store.

Something I noticed though... the first pair he made for me, I believe the plastic was from Fanny's Fabrics (1)... the second pair, he picked up the plastic from Walmart's fabric department (2).

1 was a slightly thinner plastic, and therefore more invisible... even up close and staring at me, you wouldn't see the plastic shields (unless looking from the side view).

2 is a bit thicker, and definitely more visible from the front. However, perhaps the increase in thickness will make them more durable... who knows...

Anyhow, this difference in thickness would never be noticeable between the 2 plastics unless comparing one side-by-side with the other. Due to the more discreet appearance of #1, if I were doing this again, and had a choice, I'd definitely pick #1... it might wear out a bit sooner, but it just looks a bit better when viewed from right up close.

#1 rates a 10/10 in terms of appearence, whereas #2 is maybe an 8/10.

To get the shields in, the plastic is cut into a rectangle... long enough to wrap around the lens as far as you want (all the way around like mine, or part way... whatever you need). On my metal frames, there was a screw that you loosen to remove the lenses. The screw that comes with the frames needs to be replaced with a longer screw... that way, the screw has enough length to hold everything together even while loosened.

The lens is beveled to fit into a fine groove inside the frame.

The lens itself will need to be grinded down a bit so that there is enough room for the frame to fit the plastic in there too... Marc said when he grinds it down, he bevels it a bit sharper so that it can grip that groove even through the plastic. (this is the part that would make it tough for a do-it-yourselfer... you need an optician with a lab to do this...)

Once the lens is grinded down, you wrap the plastic around the lens... then fit the whole thing back into the frame.... you'll see the plastic forming a tube that sticks out the front and back of the frame.... then he fiddled with it until he had the lens lined up with that groove inside the frame, and tightened the screw. Also, he played with the plastic until it came out the back at the right angle... he said coming straight out seems to work best... there's definitly some fiddling with this... don't want the plastic looking like it flares out or anything.

Next, he uses a sharp blade, and trims off the plastic hanging out the front of the frame. You have to be careful not to scratch the lens, or the finish from the frame.

The last part is just trimming the plastic off the back to fit your face.

So, there you have it.

As I see it, doing it yourself can save you money IF you can figure out a way to grind the lens down yourself, you can find the right sized longer screw that I was telling you about, and you don't kill the savings by scratching the lens or frame badly (thus needing a replacement)... messing up could be costly

The good news is that these should be able to be made anywhere... you just need to be really handy, or have a willing optician!

Thumbs up

This is just a great idea! I visited some opticians yesterday and found out that there`s still some craftsmanship left. I showed them a picture of your glasses and in every place they said; no problemo. These smaller shops usually got some highly-skilled old guys hanging around and all kinds of machinery one can hope for.

They plastic itself (PVC with some "softening additive") can be found in several thicknesses here and it cost something like 1 $ / 1 sq-feet.

I`ll post some pics too as soon as I get my glasses done.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful! Can't wait to see your pics!

Blog Entries
    Update... still loving these things... went to the Bon Jovi concert tonight... it was an outdoor concert, and since it was in the evening, my sunglasses Wiley's would not have been ideal... wore my custom moisture chambers, and all I can say is that they worked wonderfully! They kept my eyes comfortable for the entire 4 hours we were there! AWESOME!

All I can say is if you can get your hands on a pair of custom moisture chambers it will be soooo worth it! They allow you to go out, protect your eyes, and not feel conspicuous!

Especially once it got dark out, my hubby said you'd never know there was anything unusual about them!

Thanks for the update! I am very encouraged by your success and have printed out the "explanation of how they're made" post from June 15 and also the photos from your blog page. I hope to show these to local opticians and try to find somebody who has the skills to do this.

If you have the time, could you post a couple more pictures that would show the "inside" of the frames with the moisture shields? I'm trying to figure out how the vinyl fits around the bridge and nose pad holders.

Thanks again

Calli

Blog Entries
    It fits just to the inside of the nosepad holders. I'll try to post more pics when I get the chance... didn't think to take a pic from that angle... sorry about that!

Dry eyes, you may win the battle but lose the war:

I picked my lenses from the grinder a couple of hours ago and just finished making this lovely piece of art. 50 $ for the glasses, 90 $ for the optician, 1 $ for the materials and 0 $ for making the shields.

The edges of the shields may look rough but I just couldnt wait any longer for wearing these. Maybe I`ll put some real effort on making new ones in the near future as the plastic itself is virtually free.

They start to fog up nicely after some 10 minutes of wearing and that can, of course, be avoided just by loosing the fit just a little bit. Thank you SAAG for bringing up this great idea!!

They turned out well! I wonder if the vinyl would fit as well if the lenses were thick (like mine).

Thanks for posting the picture.

C

I`m pretty sure that the plastic will fit fine even with thick lenses.

And I have to say I definitely agree with SAAG; this kind of glasses are AWESOME! They are goodlooking, easy to made, somewhat cheap and protect the eyes as well as my Panoptix moisture chamber glasses.

Blog Entries
    Haven't had time to take a pic yet... but I think syclone's pic kind of shows it... the plastic fits just to the inside of the nosepads.

And he's right, it shouldn't matter how thick the lenses are!

So the plastic goes into the groove where the lenses fit into the frame? Did you have an easy time juggling the plastic/lenses/frame to get the whole thing to go together?

Thanks for the info and picture.

Calli

Out of curiosity, how do you store these glasses? Can you fold the arms of the glasses without bending or compromising the plastic sides? They really do look great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast