1 of 2 < >

Registration Process

We're in the process of switching back on automated registrations, but have a few bugs to work out! If you need to register, please email
2 of 2 < >

We're "Moving!"

PLEASE - update your bookmarks to The 'old' address will only work for a few more days.
See more
See less

Dry eye specialist in PA

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dry eye specialist in PA

    My name is Leslie O'Dell. I am a residency trained optometrist specializing in the treatment of dry eye disease. I am passionate about this disease because it remains a highly under-diagnosed and mistreated disease.

    I am not only a dry eye specialist, but I myself suffer from dry eye disease caused from years of contact lens wear combined with hypothyroid disease.

    I hope to offer insight to questions/concerns about dry eye disease. I am located in south central PA, and am getting ready to open the first dry eye treatment center in that area.

    Twitter me at

  • #2
    Welcome to Dry Eye Talk! Do you have any suggestions on how someone outside of your local area can find an optometrist or ophthalmologist who has more than a rudimentary or passing interest in dry eye and who has the knowledge and time to make a proper diagnosis? Often times they advertise being able to help with dry eye, but when push comes to shove, it is a cookie cutter approach with recommendations for drops, Restasis and plugs. In my own case, I was told I have Dry Eye but never given any information beyond that. If I also have blepharitis, MGD, Ocular Rosacea, ABMD, etc., how would I know? Is this something I should just ask my optometrist or are some of these diagnoses beyond the knowledge base of some optometrists?
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.


    • #3
      I agree that not all those advertising themselves as dry eye experts have the experience to treat all types of dry eyes. For the most part, optometrist and ophthalmologists are very good at treating people with mild to moderate disease with a high rate of success. A specialist is needed when conventional treatments are not working. A good place to find a dry eye specialist is through a corneal specialist in your area. Another option would be a university hospital. I am close to Wilmer Eye in Baltimore, for example, and they treat complicated cases of dry eye disease.

      I hope you find this information helpful!