Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Scheduled Update

ATTN: The forums will be down part of the day of March 31 for a scheduled update.
2 of 2 < >

Attn: Anyone Who Requested Registration and never got a response.

We normally get back to people on registration requests within a few business days. If you don't hear back from us within a week it may be because we're having difficulty with your email address. If you included your username in your request we've probably registered you already and just can't send you the information. You can give us a call at 1-877-693-7939 between the hours of 8am-4am Pacific time. We'll have your information set aside to give to you in the event attempts to send to your email didn't work.
See more
See less

Newbie - Sudden Onset Dry Eye

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - Sudden Onset Dry Eye

Hi everyone!
    Nice to be here! I am freaking out worrying if my eyes are dying!
    I am F/55. My general health has declined in the last year. I have had CFS/ME, FM and Multiple Chemical Sensitivities > 10 yrs. I also have Osteoarthritis and a sero-negative spondyloarthropathy ?Psoriatic arthritis. I get flares of upper spine pain, and have constant nagging muscle & tendon pain in upper arms.

Was taking a protocol of vitamins & supplements for some months. Then added Gabapentin (Neurontin) 100mg for about 2 weeks.
    Felt a sudden popping behind eyes & sudden sensation of ?high pressure behind eyes.
    Next morning eyes were dry and eyelids were hard to open as they were stuck to my eyeballs. My eyes appeared small & shrunken & felt firm & small when I touched them.

Optometrist measured pressures as lowish at 12 (Ref Range: 15 - 21) Mod-Severe Dry Eyes.
    Lipid Layer missing from tear film. Mucus being dragged across eyes, occasionally obscuring vision. Meibomian gland issue. ?part of a systemic problem.
    Advised to take Fish Oil 3000 mg/day. Could take a month or so to notice if this is helping.
    Drops to lubricate.
    Later needed to use more viscous drops. Started using Viscotears.

Tested Negative for Sjogren's, Lupus & Polymyositis.

Obtained referral to Opthalmologist, where pressures now measured 10.
    Diagnosed "Dry Eye"..."You are susceptible"
    Use Lacrilube overnight. Viscotears in day-time.

Had to stop Lacrilube (Paraffin-based) as eyes became too iritated & eyelids too gunked. Surviving now with Viscotears.

Too much use of laptop is irritating. Screen & off-gassing from internal fan.

Question: How do I know if the trend of pressure-dropping is going to continue? Should I seek a third opinion from maybe an eye hospital???
    Could there be an infectious cause? Or is it a likely side-effect from Gabapentin? (which I ceased taking straight away).
    Are my eyes going to die before I do???

Thanks for any help!
Working...
X