Measurable Results with Dr. Maskin's Probing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measurable Results with Dr. Maskin's Probing

I am a long time patient of Dr. Maskin's who has just had his probing procedure for the third time. The first probing procedure was done in 2011 followed by eye resurfacing with AMT on both eyes. The probing lasts for me about two years.

Dr. Maskin has been measuring my lipid layer for the past year using a scope and comparing the color he sees on a chart. When my eyes got down to a level "3" (white/gray), it was decided to do probing again this past July. The thickness of the lipid layer was at 60 (nm/mm - not sure unit). At my one month checkup, my lipid thickness was a level "10", which is 165 nm/mm. That is an improvement of 175%! Needless to say, my eyes feel SO MUCH BETTER!

Many people have asked if it hurts. I say it's tolerable, sort of like a slight bee sting. The verifiable results, however, make it so worth the small pain. I used to have red, painful eyes that were embarrassing. I now have comfortable eyes. Dr. Maskin is making a huge contribution for the dry eye community.

Just had the probing, too soon to tell if I have results

Comment

Amniotic tissue implant

Are you a candidate for the amniotic tissue to the conjunctiva?

Comment

Hi Jadavis,
        I am considering having this done. Jadavis, do you also have tear deficiency or is MGD your only problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Gram View Post
          Are you a candidate for the amniotic tissue to the conjunctiva?
          Yes, I had that done in July 2011 to both eyes after the probing. I wrote about my experience in one of my old posts.

Comment

Originally posted by LaDiva View Post
            Hi Jadavis,
            I am considering having this done. Jadavis, do you also have tear deficiency or is MGD your only problem?
            I have MGD. I had conjunctivalchalasis which was causing my eyes to be inflamed all the time. Surgery took care of that. The probing lasts for me about two years. I just had it done again in July of this year.

Comment

Do you have a slight blurring in the eye after the AMT surgery? Do you live with it? six weeks post op?

Comment

Originally posted by Gram View Post
                Do you have a slight blurring in the eye after the AMT surgery? Do you live with it? six weeks post op?
                I didn't have any problems with AMT. Hopefully whatever problems you're having will be resolved.

Comment

AMT results

Thanks for answering my questions about Dr.Maskin's treatments. You did not seem to have any issue after the AMT surgery. I still have a blurring in the lower left visual field. Experimented with raising my eyelid a bit and that seems to clear the blur. Told Dr. M and he suggested an ocular plastic guy. Will explore though I did not have the blurring issue until that lower AMT procedure. The first, upper implant,. on the left eye did not pose the blurring problem. I've asked more than once "could the lower implant be "too thick a ply"? He states "no". I have not noticed any difference in my filminess and "blinking to clear" since the probing of upper and lower meibomiam glands. Note you referred to your progress after AMT in 2011, could you share that with me, I do not know how to find a past entry? I do feel Dr. M. is sincere in his attempts to find what will be beneficial to my eye difficulties, though the drive is usually 2+ hrs. from Orlando each visit.

Originally posted by jadavispcfl View Post
                  I am a long time patient of Dr. Maskin's who has just had his probing procedure for the third time. The first probing procedure was done in 2011 followed by eye resurfacing with AMT on both eyes. The probing lasts for me about two years.

Dr. Maskin has been measuring my lipid layer for the past year using a scope and comparing the color he sees on a chart. When my eyes got down to a level "3" (white/gray), it was decided to do probing again this past July. The thickness of the lipid layer was at 60 (nm/mm - not sure unit). At my one month checkup, my lipid thickness was a level "10", which is 165 nm/mm. That is an improvement of 175%! Needless to say, my eyes feel SO MUCH BETTER!

Many people have asked if it hurts. I say it's tolerable, sort of like a slight bee sting. The verifiable results, however, make it so worth the small pain. I used to have red, painful eyes that were embarrassing. I now have comfortable eyes. Dr. Maskin is making a huge contribution for the dry eye community.

Comment

I had conjunctivochalasis in both eyes. I also had a pterigium, and large veins in the eyes. Dr. Maskin used AMT material to smooth out the eye surface. I didn't have any problems at all after the surgery. It was all well worth it.

Comment

I continue to have inflamed eyes and also the blurring in the lower left eye since AMT surgery. Dr. M advised me to see an oculo-ophthalmologist for lower lid retraction ( sagging lower lids) Have an appointment with Dr. Quitko for the retraction of one eye at a time. He will not do surgery on the upper eyelid (that's the one with the injured muscle since surgery) until this retraction is done. Purpose of the tightening of the lower eyelids is to lessen the exposure of the conjunctiva to air with dry eye syndrome. My reading ability is impaired because of the blurring in this lower left eye. Frustrating, Dr. Maskin does not want to see me until this retracting is done.

Comment

I'm currently in Boca Raton, FL. And upon hearing all the great reviews that Dr.Maskin had, I decided to phone him. But it was very dissapointing to know that he only accepts Medicare, not any private insurances. The out of pocket charges are insane... definately dissapoiting news since I'm with Aetna....

Comment

In response to Daniel2, I have found that you can submit your bills to Aetna and they will pay what they approve, which are probably the same acceptables as medicare. The office will tell you what is covered, maybe half. The rest is up to you. I can tell you that Dr. M. is the only ophthalmologist in my area, tho Orlando, that deals exclusively with dryeye. There is one in South Florida, I believe. Try looking for one who does probing and AMTs and you will find him. Right now I am scheduled for cataract surgery in the "troubled eye". After that I will have an ocular-ophthalmologist repair the muscle that was injured during the lower AMT surgery. If that is corrected I do not know if I will go back to Dr M. The fact that he did not acknowledge the injury to that left eye, which I am told by the ocularoph. can happen, is troubling. I still have filming and blinking in both eyes. The ophthoc. questioned whether I had dry eye, not quite sure, tho I have very little meibo being produced by glands. Had a "con focal" test by Dr. M. (my cost) which shows non producing glands. Where to go from here is my dilemma.

Comment

even procedures that are "covered" by your insurance will still end up costing a lot because insurance only pays up to a certain amount and maskin charges far higher than is covered. so beware

Comment

I am 4 weeks post op of levator muscle repair along with a "three-snip" tightening of the lower sagging eyelids. Repair necessary because of damage to left eye muscle after the amniotic tissue graft to that left eye. Dr. Maskin did not acknowledge that I had lower left eye vision blurring following the surgery. Grafts were done in two stages, the blurring occured after the second graft. Dr. advised I have the drooping eyelid tightened to allow less air exposure but discounted the blurring vision in that left eye. Have had both levator muscles repaired, ( both had to be done for equal eye levels), but now the dry eye has exacerbated severely. Ocular-ophthamologist advised the dry eye could become worse, little did I think it would be so debilitating. Have not been able to drive for more than a few blocks, the eyes become glassy, have to stop and put the drops in and wait for them to clear a bit, tho they never are clear. She assures me the dry eye symptoms will ease. Trusting God to give me patience for healing.

Comment

Working...
                              X