Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Scheduled Update

ATTN: The forums will be down part of the day of March 31 for a scheduled update.
2 of 2 < >

Attn: Anyone Who Requested Registration and never got a response.

We normally get back to people on registration requests within a few business days. If you don't hear back from us within a week it may be because we're having difficulty with your email address. If you included your username in your request we've probably registered you already and just can't send you the information. You can give us a call at 1-877-693-7939 between the hours of 8am-4am Pacific time. We'll have your information set aside to give to you in the event attempts to send to your email didn't work.
See more
See less

how long to get steroid induced cataract?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how long to get steroid induced cataract?

I'm on month 6 of steroids, most of that prednisolone 4x a day. I've tried tapering down a couple of times, but they quickly get very bad again.

I am wondering if there is an "average" length of time before someone will get a steroid induced cataract? With the steroids only barely controlling my inflammation etc, and life being completely unbearable without them, it seems I will be on steroids indefinitely.

Fortunately my eye pressure has never risen on the steroids, so I may never get glaucoma, but as far as I know getting early cataracts from long term steroid use is virtually a certainity?

I would never have cataract surgery because it would make my eyes even worse, so I'm wondering how long I have before I go blind, basically.... without steroids I can barely open my eyes due to the photophobia etc so not taking steroids is not an option.

I developed a cataract in my right eye after about 10 years of using high potency steroids. I used to suffer severe bouts of iritis (inflammation of the iris). I started using low dose steroids for dry eye in the same period.

The cataract in the right eye is definitely steroid induced and is really not a problem; both consultant and optician are dismissive of it and concentrate instead on the health of the eye surface and ocular pressure. Last year, I found out that I had a cataract developing in my left eye but that is not steroid induced. Steroid induced cataracts have certain characteristics and can be distinguished from naturally occurring types.

I wear glasses for driving and close work but I'm certainly nowhere near blind. I might consider surgery if things got really bad but for the time being, they don't worry me at all. That makes a total of 20 years using steroids - and I was a very 'heavy' user in the early days - but I had no choice. I would have lost the sight in my right eye if I hadn't used them and the pain of iritis is indescribable.

Comment

Working...
    X