Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Scheduled Update

ATTN: The forums will be down part of the day of March 31 for a scheduled update.
2 of 2 < >

Attn: Anyone Who Requested Registration and never got a response.

We normally get back to people on registration requests within a few business days. If you don't hear back from us within a week it may be because we're having difficulty with your email address. If you included your username in your request we've probably registered you already and just can't send you the information. You can give us a call at 1-877-693-7939 between the hours of 8am-4am Pacific time. We'll have your information set aside to give to you in the event attempts to send to your email didn't work.
See more
See less

Restasis Instructions to use once only

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restasis Instructions to use once only

I have a nurse friend who uses one vile for a few applications. She puts the cap on and sets it in a shot glass to stand it up and uses it again for a second treatment. Of course, instructions say throw it away after using once. Any good reason to not use more than once. You waste so much by throwing it away after 2 drops used.

My doctor told me I could use more than one dose from a vial as long as you don't touch the tip of the vial.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Every doctor that's prescribed it for me (3, at least) has told me to use 1 vial per day (for both eyes and mult uses) and now I have compounded mineral oil-free Restasis that comes in one big bottle that I have to keep in the fridge and toss after 30 days.

Comment

Same as Kitty, my doc also suggested re-using the vial.

Risk of re-using the vial: the dropper opening could become contaminated and lead to a nasty eye infection.

So, if you choose to keep using the same vial until it's empty (as I do), be extremely careful not to touch the opening of the vial, or the part of the cap that will come in contact with the opening when you re-seal it. I also try to wash my hands well before handling my Restasis vials. When storing my opened vial between uses, I keep it in an empty prescription bottle with the lid on. If I accidentally touch the vial opening, I toss the vial (hurts to do this... it's so expensive... but hurts less than a nasty eye infection, I presume!)

Some people store their opened vials in the fridge (I did in the beginning... cold Restasis stung less when I used it!)... theoretically, this could further minimize the infection because bacteria usually multiply more slowly at lower temperatures.

Hope this helps!
        Yet another post-Lasik (2005)...
        Anyone have a time machine so I can go back and undo this mess?

Comment

yes, same here, my Dr. said to use it carefully, not to touch the tip to my eye or anything else, recap carefully and keep in fridge. he said I should be able to get about 3 doses per vial. so far no problems for me.

Comment

Same story for me - put it in a tissue and put it upright in the tissue box and don't touch the tip to anything. Then use it until it runs out.

I think it has something to do with the FDA requiring a preservative in any multi-use vial, but if the manufacturer says it is only for a single use, then they are not required to put a preservative in it.

However, it is my humble ( and not very informed ) opinion that you run very little risk of infection if you follow those rules and use the vial in a few days...

On another note - the FDA approved Restasis because in a controlled clinical trial Restasis increased tear production in 15% of patients when the control only increased production in 5%.

So, just to be clear, Restasis only increases tear production in 10% of people with aqueous tear deficiency.

Comment

I use Restasis until the vial is empty, about 3 days. I keep the lid on and keep it in a plastic zip lock bag. I also am on serum blood tears which are suppose to be thrown out after 7 days, but they cost my $500 for 13 weeks worth and insurance does not cover this, so I use them until they are gone. My doctor told me technically I should not be doing this, but to make sure I check for cloudiness in the vial and that I keep the drops refrigerated

Comment

My doctor gave me a little stand that holds the vial upright. He said just put the top on the vial and use it til it's gone - two or three days. It says 'compliments of Allergan' on the stand so I think they give these to the doctors as a promotional thing.

Comment

Working...
                X